I made a few more of those editorial decisions, because although I'm not totally averse to a little Springstien now and then, I've always felt that once you've heard one of his live blockbusters, you've heard 'em all, so I've traded 9 minutes worth of Rosalita, for a couple of country gems off the first DVD.
Which says something about growing old, I guess, because 10 years ago I thought I didn't like anything that called itself country, whereas nowadays I find the sound of the pedal steel and a misty-eyed Southern twang strangely alluring.....
A word about the file formats. I've recently re-discovered Ogg Vorbis, after downloading something the other day which really blew me away with it's quality. The hippy in me loves the whole open-source thing, but I'd given up on .ogg's largely due to lack of available Mac software. But when I recently found out that not only can you drop them straight into Toast 7 to burn audio CD's, but that the Xiph QuickTime component for OS X actually works in iTunes now, I was chuffed to bits (btw, this is also available for Windows). So if it's OK with everyone else, I'll be sticking with this format from now on.
Which brings me to plug another great bit of audio freeware, a thing called Max - no, not the totally wonderful Max/MSP, that's another thing entirely, but a high quality audio encoder which does just what it says on the box.
I think If Peel had had the faintest idea of what software was, he might well have applauded the idea of freeware too.
CD 2 Tracklist
1. Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
2. XTC - Statue of Liberty
3. Blondie - Touched by Your Presenc
4. Meatloaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
5. Tom Petty-American Girl
6. Iggy Pop - I'm Bored
7. Bonny Rait-Too Long at the Fair
8. Emmylou harris-Amarillo
9. Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric?
10. The Specials - a Message to you Rudy
11. The Ramones- Rock n' Roll High School
12. The Damned - Smash it up/ I Just can't be Happy Today
13. PIL - Careering
14. The Teardrop Explodes - Reward
15. Japan - the Ghosts of My Life
16. REM - Moon River/Pretty Persuasion
17. Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding
Missing talking Heads track here (Thanks to Psychedelic Vulture for pointing this out)