Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The All Time Festive 50 (1999/2000)
If Peel was the arbiter of all that was Good Music during his lifetime (and I think we all agree, he was), and the Festive 50 were the best 50 tunes from his show for a given year, then surely the All Time FF represents the best 50 tunes of our time ?
Actually, the preponderance of Joy Division tunes, especially in the top 10, leads me to believe that it says more about our generation than I feel quite comfortable with, but leaving that aside for a minute, these three CD's do contain some pretty damned essential material.
I listened to the first one in the car on the way to work this morning (VERY LOUD) and had trouble getting out of the car when I arrived - there are some tunes that it's just downright rude to turn off before the end, and with so many of them on one CD, you'd be well advised not to listen to these in your car if you plan to get anywhere on time. As Peely once said during the course of a show "D'you know, I think I've given myself a headache - and I don't care!"
As mentioned below, this is a reconstructed FF (sorry Peel purists - just the music again), because I was round at a friend's house during at least part of it's broadcast, so I didn't get to record all of it. And anyway, tunes like these deserve better than cassette quality (even if they do end up getting .mp3'd, but that's a debate for another time...)
I happened to have most of these tunes already, and those that I didn't have weren't that hard to find, with one notable exception, which was My Bloody Valentine's "You Made me Realise"; damn that was hard to find! Or at least it was hard to find a decent copy of the original - there are quite a few live versions out there, but without exception, they turned out to be 10+ minutes of serious noise n' grunge, which is OK when you're in the mood for it, but wasn't what I was after.
You can find the track list here (yeah, I know you can get them at the Beeb's Peely pages too), and you may notice that this is actually the second 'All Time' FF that Peely did, the first being back in 1982 - and check out that track list! It reads like one of those "The Best Punk CD Ever" tracklists (actually, I have that CD, and it's awesome). I feel another reconstruction coming on....
I have included CD case inserts as .pdf's and you will have to compile the tracks in reverse order (ie. starting at no.50) if you want to use these. I recommend also that you burn the CD's with zero gaps between tracks, and note that depending on what software you use to compile & burn, you might find that the track numbers are taken from the .mp3 tags, which, of course, are not the same as their respective position in the ATFF. Wtf, it's worth the effort.

Disc1(50-32) pt.1

Disc1 pt.2

Disc2(31-15)

Disc3(14-1)

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nice blog More peel is always welcome in my collection. Thanks

9:31 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

Wow! I just found you! Spectacular work.

6:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home